Sunday, April 11, 2010

In Transition....

The past month has been a roller coaster when it comes to any sort of routine, workout or diet.

First off, it was my birthday. I put any semblance of the Ideal Protein diet on hold for two weeks and gained three pounds. Very frustrating considering it took me three weeks to lose a mere three pounds, but totally worth it because I ate what I wanted and enjoyed myself.

Just as I was finding the motivation to get back into my routine, I received the fantastic news that I got a job in Telluride and quickly had to pack my belongings and move to Durango within a few days.

I've been home for a little over a week now, and have been able to maintain my weight (not gaining weight, but fluctuating within a three pound range) by trying to eat well and working out at least 5 times a week. I'm still 20 pounds away from the goal weight I set for myself when I started Ideal Protein. But I'm enjoying myself and having fun.

It will be so much easier when I am moved into a place in Telluride and can get back onto a regimented eating and diet plan. I can't do Ideal Protein because it's too expensive and there isn't a 'dealer' in Telluride, but I'm thinking of buying the Mayo Clinic Diet book and following that. It focuses more on changing eating habits instead of instructing readers to eat certain amounts of certain foods and certain times of the day. The Mayo Clinic is a reputable health organization (or whatever it does...) and I thinks it's totally worth it to give the diet a shot.

If I wanted to be hard on myself I could beat myself up for eating the eggs Benedict I had for breakfast (with a mimosa) but I'm not going to do that. I had a lovely morning with my best friend and I wouldn't exchange that for anything (not even the calories in Hollandaise sauce).

Every article I read anywhere about weight loss, fitness and dieting emphasizes the concept of self-love. It's not healthy to base my happiness or self-worth on how much I weigh. Granted, that's much easier said, than done in some cases, but I'm trying really, really hard to love myself the way I am right now. Today. (Although I don't love the massive sunburn I have on my entire back from sitting in a hot tub for far too long yesterday.)


And with that I will try to muster up enough energy (the sunburn is making me feverish) to do some yoga and practice some self love.

No comments:

Post a Comment