Friday, January 29, 2010

My "New Year's Resolution"

Ok....so yes, I may be a month behind on the New Year's resolution thing I now feel motivated and ready to get started, so it doesn't matter what time of the year I decide to work towards a goal. My last goal similar to this began in August and I set my deadline for March--and I met it!

So here it is: I want to lose 2 dress/pant sizes by May. I have a lot of fun things on my plate starting in May (which I can blog about later) and I don't think I can fully enjoy myself doing all these things unless I feel more comfortable in my own skin.

This is not to say I want to be skinny and look like everyone else. I love my curves....but I want to be healthier and happier. Bottom line. Dropping two dress sizes would put me in a healthier BMI range and would make me feel more comfortable with myself--therefore happier with things.

I don't want this new branch of my blogging efforts to be just an outlet for me to bitch about my weight. I want to be held accountable for my goals and by putting it out there in the internet-world, I am making my own thoughts concrete, and whoever decides to read this blog could hold me accountable to my goals and intentions. Or, I could just pretend that people are reading it and pretend that people care about my weight loss goals and use it to motivate myself.

I spent tonight reading through various websites and articles that I have bookmarked over the past few months that relate to eating healthy and working out. I felt like I was studying for a test or something (which by the way I kind of miss...) and took notes on the highlights and takeaways that I want to keep in mind as I work towards this goal.

It helps to have things written down or printed out to get the point across to myself. Here are a few things that I think are good to keep in mind as I begin this new 'resolution':

1. Remember this is a positive experience.
2. Have realistic expectations of the outcome.
3. Go for small, not drastic changes.
4. Use basic problem solving techniques to get past previous obstacles.
5. Take actions that match your intentions.
6. And my personal favorite: Remember, a lapse can (and most likely will) happen and every day is a new day to start fresh.

So I am going into this with those 6 things in the back of my mind. This is a positive experience because I can do it, and it will make me more comfortable with myself over the summer. I am being realistic about my expectations of the outcome because I have been able to do it before with less discipline (and bigger boobs) so if I set my mind to it, I can do it now. My previous obstacles in gaining a lot of the weight I previously lost had to do with a lack of motivation and my inability to work out most of last summer due to a breast reduction surgery I had. I now have increase mobility and decreased discomfort and need to find that motivation to get back on track. And yes, I will allow myself to enjoy that glass of wine or piece of chocolate if I have worked out the same day, and if I lapse, there's always tomorrow to get back on the wagon.

Tomorrow or Sunday I will explain more of my exercise and eating plan. I really try to avoid the word diet because I will still eat foods that I enjoy, but it's just a matter of limiting certain things and changing how I eat and what I eat, when.

Also, on a side note....to explain the title of my blog. My other blog, that I soon hope to start up again about things unrelated to my insecurities and fitness goals, is titled the Girl in the Green Jacket. My mom helped me with that name because green is m favorite color and at the moment I have 5 different green jackets all in different styles (down, flannel, rain jacket, trench and shell.) (I live in Colorado, it's easy to have so many jackets....) So anyways, With Girl In The Green Dress, I want to focus on feeling more comfortable with myself in less clothing. Most people can feel comfortable in a big bulky jacket regardless of their weight because it can hide all the bumps and insecurities. I wanted my title to of course have a similar theme, but this time focus on light, summery clothing in which this summer hopefully I will feel happy and comfortable in a green dress that is a size 8. Once I meet my weight loss goal, I am going to go out and find the cutest damn green dress and wear it in Mexico and to my friend's wedding rehearsal dinner. (I will be wearing a blue dress as one of her Maids of Honor....)

And yes, Mexico and the wedding are the major reasons for my new goal. It's manageable and realistic. I just need to get my ass in gear and start working out. :) But first I'll sleep, and sometime soon I'll tell you why sleep is a key component in this new venture.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment